Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to promote health equity for marginalized communities by advancing access to high-quality, integrated, and comprehensive health and human services. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.
The Health and Nutrition Services Coordinator is responsible for tracking the health and nutrition status of children and prenatal/post-partum women enrolled in the Early Head Start program.
- Provides assistance in a broad range of health and nutrition services for Early Head Start children, families and staff;
- Develops specific internal health and nutritional procedures consistent with Head Start performance standards and guidelines to provide health and nutritional needs for children and pregnant women;
- Identifies, recognizes and assesses the health and nutritional needs of enrolled children by reviewing initial and ongoing developmental screenings
- Provides and facilitates health education for parents, their family members (grandparents), and EHS staff.
- Obtains relevant nutritional assessment data (height, weight, hemoglobin, hematocrit) by obtaining and using the child’s medical record to identify children with specific health problems, such as overweight, underweight, anemic and other nutritional problems.
- Utilizes the data management system to track immunizations, EPSDT, developmental screening and all health and safety requirements
- Coordinates and supervises nutrition-related graduate students internships and community placements
- Participates in the Health Services Advisory Committee
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor
A Bachelor’s degree in Health, Food and Nutrition/Dietetic; and four (4) years of experience in providing health care and nutrition services, and nutrition and dietary education; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the capabilities to perform the described duties.
Knowledge/Skills/and other characteristics
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations, performance standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of health and nutrition program administration.
- Knowledge of community resources related to health and nutrition services.
- Knowledge of health, nutrition and dietary regulations, guidelines.
- Knowledge of child development theories, methods and practices.
- Knowledge of health and nutrition education material.
- Skill in data collection record keeping and data analysis and preparing reports.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication.
- Skill in providing in-service training and orientation.
- Skill in applying judgment in the release of confidential information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Work Environment: Standard office setting plus frequent visits in a home environment
Position Type and Work Schedule: Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Travel: Regular travel to multiple client homes via personal vehicle or public transportation
Physical Demands: Walking, standing and sitting for extended periods.
Salary and Benefits: Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation is handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.