The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to improve access to and quality of health and human services for underserved and vulnerable populations. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Electronic Health Records (EHR) Data Engineer will be responsible for managing all aspects of EHR related data with a focus on database administration and architectural design to deliver advanced clinical and operational analytics for the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Ambulatory Health Services (AHS), a large community health organization. The EHR Data Engineer will utilize a systematic approach and advanced tools to design and support AHS data management services. The position requires skills and knowledge to connect, store, manage, secure, analyze, report, distribute and govern EHR related data. This position works directly with AHS Leadership, EHR PMO Program staff, City Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) and respective partner personnel, to support comprehensive planning and tactical delivery of data management services in production operations. In addition, responsibilities include Tier 2 and Tier 3 support for EHR production issues and Helpdesk tickets regarding data, database, and respective services.
Strategic direction, programmatic and operational prioritization will be specified through the authority of AHS Leadership. Accountability is managed through the EHR PMO with AHS oversight.
- Support the design, development, deployment and ongoing management of the AHS EHR Data Management Program. Work with EHR PMO to integrate data management strategies with projects, programs, and initiatives.
- Assist in the design, development, deployment and support of relational and non-relational database designs in a team-oriented environment using data modeling and development tools according to City OIT standards.
- Develop version and release migration methodologies. Responsible for overseeing patch management and maintenance on reporting infrastructure.
- Design, implement and control access to data and databases with/for approved AHS partners and City entities. Monitor and report on access and usage.
- Assure data and database integrity.
- Assist the AHS and OIT Security Officers as needed.
- Oversee functional configuration components to support monitoring and administering assigned applications.
- Serve as the technical intermediary between departments and vendors to manage EHR infrastructure, applications, their respective databases and analytic outputs.
- Assist to design, implement and manage integration points for automated data retrieval, sharing, and delivery both incoming and outgoing.
- Assist with data conversion, migration, and validation of data to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for EHR data, database, and system administration establishing standards and procedures to maintain consistent practices.
- Oversee and administer change control policies and procedures; Follow departmental standards regarding change control and ensure change control methods are congruent with overall Health IT and OIT procedures.
- Support the backup and recovery strategy for database environments. Oversee and administer business continuity and disaster recovery tests and methods.
- Assist with design and deployment of monitoring capabilities to maintain the health of all servers, applications and information systems. Devise simple to moderate benchmarking metrics.
- Perform daily administration and performance monitoring of database related systems.
- Monitor and proactively support capacity and performance planning and analysis.
- Identify database sizing requirements based on AHS patient population, provider, user and legal retention requirements; monitor space usage and alert appropriate staff members to resolve sizing issues and conditions that may cause application failures.
- Provide Help Desk support to resolve immediate problems and manage issues/outages.
Provide off-hours support for problem resolution as needed.
- Document outage reports and perform root cause analyses and troubleshoot internal and external data-related problems.
- Aid in the support/writing/configuration of data transformation services (DTS) and extract, transform, load (ETL) packages, Web Services, and SQL database objects to both monitor and maintain the database and support applications.
- Anticipate AHS customer needs and requirements; effectively design work processes to satisfy needs.
- Provide, assist and participate in the creative process to continuously improve architectural designs and implementation to ensure optimal efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Assist AHS in developing and conducting presentations related to data management.
- Maintain working relationships with AHS, EHR, City OIT, and Partner staff including regular status communications using EHR and AHS methods of communication.
- Act as AHS/EHR liaison and subject matter expert between City and Partner infrastructure and development resources for data management and database solutions.
- Educate colleagues on release differences and enhancements as they may affect use of operating system, web applications, database structure/requirements and networking.
- Self-manage time and effort. Seeks projects commensurate with work experience and level of expertise. Provide estimated time to complete work and estimated completion dates. Responsible for reporting project issues.
- Engage in activities to remain current as well as enhance technical skill level.
- Other data analysis and management duties as required.
General Standards for EHR Staff Across All Job Descriptions
- Demonstrates knowledge of departmental standards
- Reports status data to manager(s)
- Utilizes gained knowledge of client practices, organizational and regulatory requirements
- Provides assistance to clients and customers across agencies as needed
- Recommends and assists in developing mechanisms to decrease errors
- Assumes responsibility and demonstrate initiative
- Documents issues, risks, decisions, etc. as directed
- Acts as a change agent and support clients in the migration from current to future state in the most optimal way
- Works collaboratively and constructively with team members to achieve program goals
- Fosters positive communication and team work atmosphere
- Is respectful of all team members in verbal and written communications
- Demonstrates ability to balance multiple work streams and associated complexity while achieving program goals
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of client environment, EHR software, project management and other relevant tools as required by the program
- Seeks assistance as needed
Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science/Information Systems or related experience in the field
3-5 years of experience working with SQL Server (2008 or later) and related products; special consideration given to Microsoft Business Intelligence Development Studio suite (SSRS, SSIS, and SSAS)
Five (5) years working in health services related field
Experience with FQHC, Ambulatory, City Government or Public Health a plus
Database related expertise working with SQL Server (2008 or later) and related products; special consideration given to Microsoft Business Intelligence Development Studio suite (SSRS, SSIS, and SSAS)
Comfortable leading the design of both relational and OLAP databases
Experience with Log shipping, SQL Back-up restore, and SFTP a must
In depth understanding of conceptual, logical, and physical database structures, architectures, and integration a must
Demonstrated knowledge of the Systems Development Life Cycle
Well-developed computer skills including: Office Professional; Visio
Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
Well-developed interpersonal skills
Ability to work independently, be flexible and handle multiple tasks
Proper phone etiquette
Strong analytical skills
Experience with working in physical and virtual server environments
Effective organizational skills/detailed orientation
Experience with tools for: Business Intelligence; Analytics; Dashboards; Monitoring
Ability to manage in a routine office environment
Ability to work in a cubicle or shared space environment
Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure setting
Ability to tolerate extensive use of keyboard, typing, computer
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Ability to travel between city locations
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
Medical with vision benefits
Flexible spending accounts
Life, AD&D and long term care insurance
Short- and long-term disability insurance
403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation is handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.