Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to promote health equity for marginalized communities by advancing access to high-quality, integrated, and comprehensive health and human services. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion
The Director of Clinical Informatics is a senior level position within the Health Center Controlled Network (HCCN), which supports 33 participating health centers across the state of Pennsylvania in their use of health technology tools and data to deliver high‐quality, culturally competent, equitable and comprehensive primary health care, with a focus on improvements in clinical quality, patient‐centered care, and provider and staff well‐being. The Director of Clinical Informatics will work closely with other
HCCN and population health team members to assess, coach, and support participating health centers in progressing toward their goals. This position will report directly to the Senior Director of Population Health and will supervise the HIT Project Manager.
- Establish relationships of trust with leadership and staff at participating health centers. Become a trusted advisor on issues of clinical workflow and documentation, staffing and training related to quality improvement, data analytics, and health information technology.
- Assess needs and provide coaching and strategic guidance to health centers related to their use of health information technology (HIT) to optimize care, including optimizing the electronic health record (EHR), data governance, staff roles and internal capacity related to HIT, and effective engagement with and use of vendors/consultants. Assessments and support in this area will focus on interfaces, health information exchange, telehealth, and patient engagement, among other areas.
- Support health centers in developing requirements for and selecting new tools and technologies. Support implementation and optimization of these tools, as needed.
- Oversee work of Health Information Technology Project Manager, including supporting their work to develop/build on existing relationships with HIT vendors, develop and facilitate user groups and EHR Super User Program, manage specific projects with and provide direct consultation to individual health centers on HIT challenges, and manage Subject Matter Experts (consultants with expertise in specific EHRs).
- Manage identification and vetting of additional consultants, vendors, or other related health information technology partners to support the work of the HCCN, as needed (including Health Information Organizations, payers, other technical assistance entities, etc.). Develop effective relationships and ensure communication with these partners/stakeholders.
- Support health centers by acting as a translator for clinical requirements to technology solutions.
- Connect clinical workflow with data gathering and data validation for effective use of population health management tools and to improve data reporting/analytics. Collaborate with Quality Improvement Program Manager and Data Analyst to improve and expand data reporting and analytics capacity for the Network. Support health centers in meeting emerging reporting requirements that are dependent on HIT.
- Act as an internal expert on clinical workflow and health information technology for population health teams.
- Clinical degree/licensure (does not have to be active) as a nurse, advanced practice clinician, or physician. (Will consider years of experience working directly in clinical operations in primary care as an alternative.)
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, population health, informatics, or a similar field.
- At least seven years clinical and/or clinical operations experience in primary care, ideally in a federally qualified health center, with at least three years of experience in a leadership or management role (quality director/manager, clinical operations manager, etc.). FQHC experience is a priority.
- Experience as a super user of at least one EHR system, preference for Centricity/AthenaPractice, NextGen, or eClinical Works.
- Understanding of population health concepts and systems, including pre‐visit planning, care gap outreach, risk stratification, care management/coordination. Experience using Azara DRVS a plus.
- Coaching/consulting experience ‐ ability to quickly understand where an individual or organization is struggling, establish trust as an expert adviser, and identify resources and solutions to support progress from current state toward a goal.
- Proven ability to connect with health center leaders, managers and staff in a respectful way, to listen to concerns and understand stressors.
- Project planning and project management skills
Standard office setting, plus some scheduled travel for conferences, meetings, trainings, and technical assistance sessions with participating health centers HFP provides a hybrid work environment in which employees are required to work in person (in office or in the field) 60% of their work schedule each month and may work the remaining 40% of their schedule from their home office.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
This is a full‐time, exempt position. For an exceptional candidate, will consider an 80% time schedule to accommodate clinical practice or other responsibilities.
Local travel to multiple sites in and around Philadelphia. Some travel beyond surrounding counties for site visits and conferences will be required, as well.
Able to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time. Able to lift and move up to 15 pounds.
Proof of COVID‐19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long‐term care insurance
- Short‐ and long‐term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal
- and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation are handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or
otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.