Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to promote health equity for marginalized communities by advancing access to high-quality, integrated, and comprehensive health and human services. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.
This is specialized work in the interpretation of statements between two or more persons conversing in English and a non-English language. The languages may involve terminology or idiomatic expressions difficult to translate. Employees are able to question the speaker on any point that is not understood. Work involves performing routine clerical duties when not performing interpreting assignments. A significant aspect of the work involves establishing effective working relationships and inspiring the confidence of non-English speaking people. Work is performed under the supervision of Yvonne Claudio, Senior Administrator. The position must be responsible for interpreting statements between two or more persons conversing in English and a non-English language.
Ambulatory Health Services
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret statements between two or more persons conversing in English and a non-English language; interpret questions asked of a non-English speaking person; obtain the requested information and interpret this in English; reiterate certain points if unsure whether audience fully understand the interpretation.
- Interpret written or spoken instructions for a non-English speaking person.
- Give information in the designated non-English language to those inquiring about activities and facilities which the city makes available to the public.
- Translate from English to the non-English language and vice versa, correspondence to be sent to business firms and individuals; review written translations with other interpreters to ensure accuracy.
- File, answer telephones, and perform routine clerical duties.
- Perform related work as required.
- Explain the benefits and eligibility standards for relevant insurance programs to Health Center patients. The position requires knowledge of Affordable Care Act program eligibility.
- Use Health Center electronic medical records to ensure thorough communication of patient’s eligibility and application status.
- Be able to lift at least 20lbs.
Education and experience required:
- High School Diploma required
- Must have knowledge of the grammar and usage of the designated non-English language, and English usage and grammar.
- Must have knowledge of the colloquialisms idiomatic and idiomatic expressions of the designated non-English language.
- Ability to translate routing correspondence into the designated non-English language and from the non-English language to English.
- Ability to convey the appropriate information, questions, and instruction in a manner which is understood by all persons involved.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
POSITION TYPE AND WORK SCHEDULE:
Full-time position with fringe benefits.
Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM with 30-minute lunch break or at the discretion of supervisor
Days: Monday thru Friday.
Eligibility and participation is handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.