Job Location: Market St - Philadelphia, PA
Position Type: Internship
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Salary Range: $15,000 Salary/Year
Travel Percentage: None
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Entry Level
The position of the Surveillance Intern is an internship within the Maternal, Child, and Family Health (MCFH) Division of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH). The primary responsibilities for the Surveillance Intern will be to assist the MCFH Surveillance Coordinator on surveillance of COVID-19 infection during pregnancy. This position requires working within a multidisciplinary team with other professional staff in MCFH as well as the Division of Disease Control (DDC).
- Conduct literature reviews to support MCFH surveillance activities including but not limited to: COVID-19 and pregnancy surveillance
- Assist with data cleaning of administrative datasets
- Assist with the management of the REDCap database for the COVID-19 and pregnancy surveillance project
- Assist with requesting maternal medical records, infant medical records at birth, and any infant medical records needed for follow-up
- Assist in preparing reports for both internal and external stakeholders, including the general public and CDC
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably science, public health, or nursing from an accredited institution is required.
- Individual working towards a Master’s degree in Epidemiology or Public Health preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to organize and present information effectively
- SAS software, REDCap, or other data management experience is encouraged
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point)
Standard office setting at workstation and periodic use of office equipment. This position will initially be fully remote and will transition to in-person work in accordance with public health guidance.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Internship from August 2021 to July 2022. Hours are flexible, but he/she/they will be required 10-20 hours per week (minimum of 10 hours), between the hours of Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Local travel to multiple sites and community meetings, upon request.
Transporting materials is limited to travel, if needed.
Salary and Benefits:
The Surveillance Intern will be paid $5,000 per semester (Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022) or $15,000 for the full year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to improve access to and quality of health and human services for underserved and vulnerable populations. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.