The PDPH Safe Sleep Coordinator is primarily responsible to educate eligible pregnant and parenting women and their families in Philadelphia about safe sleep practices. The person in this position will be responsible to provide education either in person, via video, online platform or by phone. The PDPH Safe Sleep Coordinator will deliver or arrange for the delivery of Pack n Play cribs or cribettes. The PDPH Safe Sleep Coordinator will be responsible to follow up with families by text and phone calls to review education materials and assure that families understand how to set up Pack n Play crib and appropriate safe sleep practices. Under the direct supervision of the PDPH Healthy Start Safe Sleep Manager, this person will also promote awareness about the importance of safe sleep practices with onsite demonstration to social service agencies, providers, shelters, treatment centers and other locations where eligible pregnant and parenting families frequent.
The position requires strong verbal communication skills, a collaborative communication style, experience working with families, experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team, professional demeanor, strong time management and organizational skills, and the ability to work independently and take initiative. The ability to maintain accurate activity reports is essential. Home visiting experience, ability to speak Spanish and a strong public health background a plus.
- Provides in home, phone or video demonstration and education related to safe sleep practice;
- Maintains appropriate tracking and monitoring of referrals to Safe Sleep initiative;
- Provides follow up evaluation of safe sleep education;
- Collects and enters data from families for PDPH data team;
- Answers provider, agency, and client/family emails and phone calls;
- Handles logistics for crib delivery, supply and pick up to include appropriate counts, communicate schedule changes to external agencies and manage crib delivery reports;
- Coordinates Safe Sleep follow up interviews;
- Assembles and distributes Safe Sleep follow up incentives;
- Creates Safe Sleep handouts or other related materials as requested by Safe Sleep Manager;
- Provides presentations and updates on the Safe Sleep initiative progress and growth;
- Promotes awareness about the importance of safe sleep practice;
- Provide presentations and trainings about safe sleep practice to health care providers, external social service agencies, hospitals, shelters, treatment centers and other locations where eligible pregnant and parenting families frequent;
- Improves prenatal/postpartum women’s and the community’s knowledge on how to access information about all aspects of their health;
- Links women and families with community resources which are relevant to their specific needs;
- Consults and collaborates with other professionals involved in providing services to women and families;
- Maintains participant confidentiality and follows all regulations and guidelines related to participant confidentiality;
- Attends meetings and trainings as required by MCFH;
- Performs related functions as assigned or required.
- Associates degree in social work, public health or related human services field from an accredited institution of higher learning or demonstrated skills in care coordination and knowledge of target community considered
- At least 2 years of demonstrated experience with required skills. Skills may be demonstrated through employment history or academic studies;
- Previous related experience in maternal, child health, home visitation or public health;
- Strong verbal communication skills;
- Bi-lingual preferred (English-Spanish)
- Ability to communicate effectively with multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to track program activities and record accurately and on time;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to use public transit system or owns an operable, registered automobile, valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance;
- Ability to build relationships centered on trust, flexibility and negotiation;
- Ability to work with culturally diverse families;
- Ability to carry a Pack n Play crib (approximately 20 pounds).
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Criminal Check Clearance
Standard office setting with extended periods at workstation and periodic use of office equipment. Staff is also expected to provide services within the participant’s home or designated location.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Employee must have valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and current auto insurance. Weekly local travel to city warehouse, hospitals, social service agencies and participant homes for service delivery. There is also local travel (2-3 times per month) to attend team meetings, staff meetings, trainings, community meetings or events.
Ability to transport materials, routinely moves equipment or supplies weighing up to 30 lbs.
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long-term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, pers