Job Location: Kensington - Philadelphia, PA
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Salary Range: $90,000.00 Salary/Year
Travel Percentage: None
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Health Care
The Philadelphia Department of Public Health Harm Reduction Department of SUPHR Division is looking for an experienced and motivated RN Wound Care Specialist to join our harm reduction professionals. As part of the team, you would assess wounds incurred through drug use to address immediate wound care needs, drug user’s health, and possibly warm hand off for extended wound care. Individual will make regular rounds in the field, coordinate with program manager, and liaison between individuals of use and health care facilities. While providing wound care, you educate PWID on wound care practices and methods to promote wellness and healing. You must be a licensed as a Wound Care Specialist and licensed; bilingual candidates are strongly preferred.
Under the supervision of the Harm Reduction Program Manager of the Division of Substance Use Prevention and Harm Reduction, the RN Wound Care Specialist will perform the following essential job functions:
Assess the unique needs of each PWID to determine appropriate wound care, provide or refer to appropriate care, and establish report with PWID for continued contact.
• Coordinate with local clinics/hospitals to ensure referral and scheduling, up to and including networking with CRSs at facilities to create warm hand offs for individuals needing higher level of care
• Develop Wound Care Project to include E-modules for public access to trainings on Infectious Disease Control.
• Duties include changing wound dressings, observing wounds for signs of infection, creation of continued contact plan and more.
• Educate PWID on best practices to promote healing and wellness.
• Fulfill other duties as required.
• Maintain HIPAA guidelines within scope of work.
• Track wound care incidents daily and referrals.
• Train HR team members to provide education on wound care in the field.
- Master’s degree in public health or related graduate-degree from an accredited school and one year of experience involving community-based work or programs that focus on client and agency education and engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school and three years of experience involving community-based work or programs that focus on client and agency education and engagement.
- WCN-C Certified Wound Care Nurse or WOCN-C Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse desired
Nursing Licensure with wound care certification
- CPR and basic life support (BLS) certifications
- At least 2 years of prior experience in wound care
- Prior experience in harm reduction and/or related field (preferred)
- Knowledge of substance use (in particular, opioid-related) medical terminology
- Knowledge of current harm reduction strategies utilized in Philadelphia and in other jurisdictions
- Experience providing training and/or technical assistance
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new tasks quickly
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, to manage time effectively and to work independently in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with persons and organizations contacted in the course of work
- Sensitivity to and experience working with ethnically, culturally, and sexually diverse individuals, communities, agencies, and organizations
- Comfort interacting with a variety of health care professionals, including attending meetings and providing trainings
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel
- Standard office setting approximately 50% of time and field work 50% of time. 37.5 Hours per week
- Street outreach and collaborative events require staff to work in extreme weather conditions occasionally. Will be responsible for up to 4 tabling/collaborative events a year.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Salary - $90,000/year
Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Local travel to multiple sites and community meetings a few times a month.
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long-term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation are handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to improve access to and quality of health and human services for underserved and vulnerable populations. Health equity is at the heart of all work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, nation or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia's employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training and promotion.