The Division of Disease Control, within the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH), monitors, investigates, and implements control measures for infectious diseases and conditions, and leads planning and response activities for public health emergencies in the City of Philadelphia. The Response Specialist will be cross-trained to perform various emergency response roles, primarily focusing on supporting COVID-19 vaccination services. This position is full-time with some work after hours and on weekends to support response activities.
- Learn and perform all functions of COVID-19 vaccination clinic operations, including:
- On-site vaccine management
- Line management
- Registration and scheduling
- Data collection
- Supply management
- Appropriate use of access and functional needs equipment and services
- Learn all aspects of vaccine management and provide support in various settings as needed
- Support other COVID-19 response activities, such as testing, management of personal protective equipment (PPE) caches, and other activities as needed
- Provide logistics support, including managing inventory, packing supplies, updating laptops and tablets, and setting up field sites
- Support community outreach and canvassing efforts
- Assist with management of email inboxes, contact lists, databases, scheduling systems, and a Disease Control website
- Assist with emergency communications and drills
- Support other emergency responses as needed, including weather emergencies, mass sheltering responses, and communicable disease outbreaks
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned
- High school degree or GED required with relevant customer service or comparable experience working in public-facing settings.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Some computer skills are necessary, including familiarity with Microsoft Office. Candidates should have an interest in learning to use other software and databases and will be provided training.
- Candidates should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work in a team environment, and an interest in interacting with the public in a variety of settings.
- Previous non-profit or government experience a plus.
This is not remote work. The applicant will travel to various parts of the City for assignment in COVID-19 vaccination clinics and other emergency response settings as needed.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
The applicant must work from the Health Department offices and/or travel to various parts of the City in COVID-19 vaccination clinics and other emergency response settings as needed.
This job may require moderate physical effort, including lifting materials and equipment of less than 50 pounds and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 25 to 50 percent of the time.
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long-term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation is handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to improve access to and quality
of health and human services for underserved and vulnerable populations. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.