Reports to: Opioid Activities Liaison/Epidemiologist
FLSA: HR will determine
This position provides data analysis and support to the Substance Use Program at the Philadelphia Department of Public Health. The person filling this position is responsible for data abstraction, management and analysis of drug-related fatal and nonfatal overdose surveillance data within Philadelphia. These data will be captured as part of a statewide initiative to increase the timeliness of overdose and associated risk factor reporting and to ensure that results are disseminated to key stakeholders working to prevent or respond to overdoses in the state of Pennsylvania. The person filling this position will work very closely with staff within the Division of Disease Control, the Medical Examiner’s Office, the Fire Department’s Emergency Medical Services, the PA Department of Health, and with healthcare providers associated with all major Philadelphia area hospital emergency departments.
- Abstract, analyze and clean data on fatal drug-related overdoses from the Medical Examiner’s Office.
- Perform regular data matches between several city-wide health information data systems.
- Develop, refine, and oversee production of regular reports, both in-house and externally.
- Serve as a representative for grantee teleconferences/meetings.
- Summarize analytic findings for presentation at scientific conferences and publication in technical and scientific journals.
- Participate in Emergency Preparedness drills, exercises, and trainings for Health Department, as needed.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree AND At least one (1) year of work experience performing data abstraction or analysis.
- Knowledge of substance use and drug related terminology
- Preferred experience with analysis software, such as SAS or R, or mapping software (ArcGIS preferred)
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Access, and Excel
- Able to handle multiple tasks and manage project timelines with a high degree of organizational skill
- Ability to work as part of a team, to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, and to work independently in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to analyze and think critically to apply reasonable judgement and problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and to write project proposals and technical reports
- Sensitivity to and experience working with ethnically, culturally and sexually diverse individuals, communities, agencies and organizations
Standard office setting with extended periods at work station and periodic use of office equipment.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Full time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Local travel to multiple sites and community meetings about once or twice a week.
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation are handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
The Health Federation of Philadelphia (HFP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.