The mission of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Division of Maternal, Child, and Family Health is to improve the health of residents of Philadelphia with a focus on women, children, teenagers and families. MCFH provides services, promotes education, and supports system improvement and policy changes to expand access to health services, nurture child development and instill resilience. Integral to all MCFH’s activities is a focus on reducing racial, ethnic, and economic health disparities and their impact on children’s developmental trajectories
The Communications Coordinator will provide communications support to the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Division of Maternal, Child, and Family Health. The Communications Coordinator will develop content aligned with the mission of MCFH on crucial multi-generational family health topics including but not limited to breastfeeding, safe sleep, postpartum depression, substance use, early literacy and child development. The Communications Coordinator will curate content that reflects and resonates with the diverse spectrum of Philadelphia families. Ultimately, all materials produced will serve to increase the public’s awareness of critical public health topics, connect families to services, create a culture of support for families’ health and safety, and promote health equity. The Communications Coordinator will apply an understanding of the social determinants of health and structural drivers of health inequity to develop a strength-based communications strategy.
Under the supervision of the Special Projects Manager will:
- Work with contracted media agencies to launch new divisional public health campaigns, design and distribute educational materials, write copy for campaign websites, draft press releases and media talking points, and develop content for social media
- Develop a communications toolkit, guidelines, and key messaging for MCFH staff and external partners
- Work with the MCFH evaluation team to develop metrics that will be used to iteratively improve all communication strategies
- Ensure consistent branding across all MCFH communication initiatives
- Manage ongoing public health campaigns including PhillyLovesBreastfeeding and SafeSleepPhilly
- Create and disseminate internal and external newsletters highlighting the division’s activities
- Develop relationships with key partner agencies to facilitate cross-promotion of events and messages
- Manage the printing and distribution of printed materials to partner agencies
- Collaborate with internal experts to ensure the accuracy of health communication content
- Ensure compliance with the Philadelphia Department of Public Health communications processes and standards.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required. Communications, journalism, or public health preferred.
- At least 1-2 years of work experience in communications in a professional setting, public health or social service agency preferred.
- Experience facilitating communication for a mission-oriented organization
- Experience curating and leveraging digital platforms and social media to effectively reach a target audience.
- Experience working for or partnering with media consulting agencies.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Social media fluency: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Ability to communicate with key informants to identify essential messaging approaches.
- Familiarity with tools such as: Hootsuite, Wordpress, Constant Contact.
- Graphic design skills, photography and videography skills are a plus.
- Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and creative problem-solving skills with ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
- Humility and enthusiasm for working with ethnically, culturally and sexually diverse individuals, communities, agencies and organizations.
This position reports directly to the Special Projects Manager.
Salary range is between $40,000-$50,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This position comes with a comprehensive benefits package consisting of medical and dental coverage, paid sick, vacation, and personal time.