Equal Opportunity Employer
The mission of the Health Federation of Philadelphia is to promote health equity for marginalized communities by advancing access to high-quality, integrated, and comprehensive health and human services. Health equity is at the heart of all our work. We believe in and are firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status. This commitment applies to all aspects of the Health Federation of Philadelphia’s employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promotion.
The Communications Manager supports Senior Staff and Program Managers in developing and implementing the organization’s strategic communications to enhance internal and external agency awareness. We are seeking an outstanding writer/editor with design capability who can quickly digest complex content and produce high quality materials for a variety of audiences.
This individual will work across programmatic areas at the Health Federation, and therefore, will need to be able to set priorities and manage time well.
- Assess needs for, develop and update organizational printed materials and website, in conjunction with program managers and senior staff.
- Monitor and assure that all communications vehicles have a unified brand identity and meet production quality standards.
- Write, edit and design fact sheets, brochures, and organizational and program descriptions for a variety of communications and fundraising purposes.
- Assist program managers and directors in developing presentations and posters for conferences and meetings.
- Develop media strategy. Assist with proactive media outreach and reactive media responses as needed.
- Contract and work with communications consultant, external graphic designers, web designer, videographers and/or photographers as needed to develop and maintain materials, and to develop and implement specific projects or campaigns that require outside expertise.
- Provide content for and manage Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts.
- Develop and sustain an internal communications (organizational policies) plan to support cross-departmental exchange of information and a coherent sense of HFP identity.
- Do basic video editing as needed for use on online platforms.
- Serve as the internal point person on EveryAction, the customer relationship management software used by HFP.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, Journalism, Graphic Design, or Communications
- Outstanding writing and editing abilities – able to absorb new, complex material quickly, and generate excellent written product in a short period of time.
- Experience with design of electronic and print materials, familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), expertise in Canva.
- Video design and editing experience and experience using Drupal for web development preferred.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies/software and utilize these to support communications needs.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- At least 3 years of experience in nonprofit communications. Some background in PR/Marketing/Development preferred.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the Health Federation .
- Some background in healthcare and/or human services highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and across departments.
Work Environment: Standard office setting with extended periods at work station and periodic use of office equipment.
Position Type and Work Schedule: Full time position - typical hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex schedule options available with supervisor approval. In-office work is required at least twelve days/month (approximately three days per week).
Travel: Minimal to none
Physical Demands: Standard office work
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.
Salary and Benefits: Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Dental insurance
- Medical with vision benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Parental Leave
- Life, AD&D and long-term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation is handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.