HFP is looking for a part-time (2 days/week) communications intern to act in support of internal and external communications. The intern will gain a diverse range of experience in communications tools, including social media, writing, content creation, print and presentation design and basic marketing content. The intern will be key member of HFP team, responsible for concrete communications projects based on needs and interest of the intern.
Responsibilities of Intern:
- The communications intern will be responsible for a range of projects. Specific functions of the intern may include:
- Maintenance of HFP internal newsletter (including interviewing staff and writing feature articles;
- Creation of a social media plan to grow social media presence, including the development of a social media posting calendar and a social media influencer list;
- Development and posting of creative content for social media platforms;
- Creation of a local and regional press list (inclusive of Twitter and social media handles) or local journalists;
- Creation/assistance in organizational videos for marketing and business development goals;
- Research, development and presentation of SEO plan
- Enrollment in undergraduate program in communications, English, social media or other related fields;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Advanced computer and social media skills;
- Experience working with web-based content management system
- Highly-adaptable, detail-oriented, creative and organized;
- Passionate about HFP’s mission;
- Ability to work independently
- Experience or interest in public health preferred
- Knowledge of SEO
Major or Degree Program: Undergraduate or graduate program communications, English, social media or other related fields
Compensation: This is an UNPAID internship.
- This intern will benefit by gaining experience in a broad range of skills necessary to work in communications and/or determine a specific focus area. The communications intern will work closely with his/her supervisor to determine learning objects and goals that match organizational needs with intern interests. The intern will complete projects and writing samples that can be included in a professional portfolio and gain valuable experience to add to a resume.
- The intern will be encouraged to network with other HFP employees, attend trainings hosted by HFP, and learn about the different departments and programs within the organization(s). Where applicable, the communications intern will be encouraged to attend other networking and training events.
- The intern will be supervised by Andrea Miller, communications coordinator with weekly standing meetings to review work plans for the week, and ensure that the intern has clear expectations and support/guidance to complete all assigned tasks.
- Tisha Nickenig, HFP Intern Coordinator also provides support/supervision to all HFP interns and will meet with the intern on a bi-weekly basis either in a group and/or individual setting to ensure the intern is receiving the guidance/support they require
Location: The intern will report to Health Federation of Philadelphia, 1211 Chestnut Street, Suite 801, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Periodic meetings outside this location may be required.
Duration of Internship: September 8-December 15, 2017. Internship may be extended depending on availability/interest of intern.
Hours per week: Two days (15 hours) per week. Hours/days of the week are flexible depending on intern schedule.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Tisha Nickenig with “communications intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please.