The Dual Language Specialist will collaborate with EHS staff to implement a dual language support program to ensure Spanish speaking children and families receive translation and interpreter services to fully participate in our Early Head Start program. Additionally, engage and encourage parent involvement in the child’s dual language learning and development.
- Correctly interpret or translate the original meaning of English for Spanish speaking parents and Spanish for English speaking staff during home visits, group socializations and parent meetings and events.
- In collaboration with the social workers, conduct intake meetings with Spanish speaking parents.
- In collaboration with the child and family educators, conduct child developmental screenings and assessments with Spanish speaking children and parents enrolled in our program.
- In collaboration with health services staff, engage parents during the enrollment process and on-going to identify the health status of their child(ren).
- Develop flyers, handouts, and promotional/educational materials in Spanish.
- Communicate via social media, texting and email in Spanish to Spanish speaking parents enrolled in our program.
- Attend recruitment activities and community presentations to communicate with Spanish speaking eligible parents.
- Minimum education requirement: Associate degree in liberal arts, social/human services or psychology
- Licensure: N/A
- Required Certifications: American Translators Association or recent professional training in interpreting/translating services to Spanish speaking individuals
- Ability to speak, interpret, write and translate in English and Spanish
- Energetic, inspiring and committed to working with parents and young children
- Knowledge of Latin culture. Commitment to dual language learning (English and Spanish).
- At least 2 years of experience in a social service program serving children and parents residing in at-risk environment
- Preferred experience in translating and interpreting Spanish and English
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Publisher and Excel
- Able to handle multiple tasks and manage project timeline with a high degree of organizational skill. Flexible.
- Ability to work with a variety of cultures and diverse audiences
Standard office setting with extended periods at work station and periodic use of office equipment.
Position Type and Work Schedule:
Full time position (7.5 hour day), typical hours are scheduled Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Flex office schedule options available with supervisor approval.
Local travel to multiple homes, sites and community meetings, 3 to 4 days a week
Ability to sit, stand and walk up stairs several hours a day
Salary and Benefits:
Our employees are our most valuable resource, so we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, which can include:
- Medical with vision benefits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life, AD&D and long-term care insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with a company contribution
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, personal and holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
Eligibility and participation are handled consistent with the plan documents and HFP policy.
The Health Federation reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the Company desires. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, responsibilities and/or skills to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied, or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
The Health Federation of Philadelphia (HFP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.